Tuesday 29 April 2014

Evaluation - How Effective Is The Combination Of Your Main Product And Ancillary Texts?

Keeping a sense of continuity of media products is a key element to help promote any campaign, therefore audiences will recognise the same film that is being promoted within the media. Having a strong campaign pushes the film marketing to attract a wider audience to wanting to see the film. The whole point of having a good campaign is essential because producers want to get as many viewers to see their films.  Therefore they want to try and make images or clips stick into the audience minds for this reason.

The tagline that I used consistently though out my campaign was "They're Coming For You, Run While You Can", This is perfect for my film as it helps to show that my film is a thriller and follows conventions of other thriller films, also my tagline is catchy which will help promote my film as the audience will remember my tagline and this will help back the film up. My tagline gives a cue into the story line of the trailer. My tagline comes separately and they appear towards the middle of my trailer, the way my tagline appears in my trailer is "They're Coming For You" then a few shots then "Run While You Can" which creates tension and excitement to the audience. To help promote my film I also included the tagline on my poster which helps keep the continuity across all the media used for the film. The tagline does not appear on my Magazine front cover, however if a tagline was to appear, it would probably be different to the one in my trailer and poster.

I researched different thriller films and I looked at there taglines to find out if there any similar words use and to find out if there were any consistency between them.

Tagline Research

I also made a list of potential taglines which I made a focus group to get feedback from them on what they thought would be best for my tagline.

Potential Taglines







My dominant image on my poster and magazine both give off the same emotion and effect however they are completely different because on my poster I chose to use a silhouette of the killer and in my magazine front cover I used a clear image of the killer looking towards the camera looking serious and evil. Magazines often use pictures of the main stars or other stars if the magazine is a big budgeted film, if the film magazine is a low budget film they usually use an image of the director. I used an image of my killer who is one of my main characters and is central to my campaign.

Magazine Picture


Poster Picture



I took several pictures for both my poster and my magazine front cover so that I had an option to chose from I got my actor do try different actions or poses which I thought would be appropriate for a thriller.

Potential Poster Pictures
Potential Magazine Pictures

My Billing was the on my poster and teaser trailer, although the font use was 'Steel Tongs'. With this came my production company logo's - which were put with my billings as on other billing/credits for films that I researched. Again showing the abidance that they belong to the same film.







Billing/credits are conventions that are appear on all forms of media products, they appear on the majority of advertising campaigns, and helps to show who is involve in making the film. The only difference in my billing was in my trailer in which they where separated into two separate shots where as in the poster it was full at the bottom.

I did research on billing for posters and teaser trailers to find out the difference between them which I have showed the difference between them.

Difference Between Poster and Teaser Trailer Billing

I also did research on poster billing to find out what I needed to include in my own billing so I analysed three different poster billings again to find the similarities that they all consist.

Prisoners Billing
The American Billing
Unknown Billing

Billing Conventions

However, I did not include in my billing on my magazine front cover, instead using other conventions which I took time in researching, for example the use of cover lines, manner and the masthead is the biggest font on the page.

My production companies only appear on my poster and trailer, not on my magazine front cover, following the conventions of each.

I did research on cover lines which Helped me make my magazine front cover.

Potential Cover Lines

Release dates is not included in my campaign because the teaser trailer comes out much earlier then the poster does. This could be months or even years in advance. Therefore I simply state the season of release "Summer 2014" which i found was very common in teaser trailers because the teaser trailer comes way before the film comes out and they are used to tease the audience into wanting them to see the film and another form of advertising for the film. The poster is released towards the release of the cinema screening and helps re-enforce the film and its release. Making audiences aware of the film yet again, and prepare to go to the cinema to view it - after making them excited by seeing the teaser trailer, poster and magazine front cover.

Having done lengthy research on trailers I found out that in teaser trailers they are very vague, so I decided to make it vague as well. This is my release date what appears at the end of my trailer.




There are lots of obvious similarities in this campaign, the production companies are the same throughout the media formats. Keeping the fonts of my poster and teaser trailer the same and the billing is very similar instead of the 'steel tongs'. This is so that they all combine to my main product and advertise in the same manor.

No comments:

Post a Comment